Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Building Relationships

The conversations I have with students during small guided reading groups are always enjoyable to me.  It seems to be a time set aside only for them.  No other students should be interrupting us since we've set up independent routines, although there are always those emergency situations.  When I hear my students making connections from a story to their lives, it helps me understand them a little better.  I wish I remember what it was like to be 7 or 8.  The things that are important and big to them are far different from an adult.  My perspective on the school day varies greatly from theirs.  I think that's why it's so important that we build those trusting relationships with our students first.  While this may seem easy enough, when you have a class of 25 or more students, this can become a challenge in itself.  I think it's great to use small group time to get to know your students better, not just as readers and writers, but as people! 

The following video was shared with us at the beginning of the school year.  It reminds me of the things that are important to kids and to not always take things so seriously - to relax and focus on the positive!

No comments:

Post a Comment